Friday, June 7, 2013

Outing Sheldon Cooper

No, I don't mean he's gay.




I mean he's an atheist! I know you're probably still skeptical. But come on....how much more evidence (of his absence) do you really need? Still, for his own good, Sheldon needs to come out and help us change the descriptive norms on "atheism."


Yes, there may be consequences (his mother's reaction). And he may need a lot of support in the short-term. He may need to call the Recovering From Religion hotline or attend one of their support group meetings facilitated by Nate Phelps. But can you just imagine how it would make Shelly feel to finally hear his mother say "Not that there's anything wrong with that"?

"If a closet atheist wants to come out, that is her decision to make, and nobody else's. What we can do is provide support and encouragement to those who willingly decide to out themselves."

- Richard Dawkins on "
The Out Campaign"

CBS: Are you listening?


#HotlineProject Coverage:

Hugs Shelly...and Raj!


"I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed knowledge that one didn't have. Somehow, it was better to say one was a humanist or an agnostic. I finally decided that I'm a creature of emotion as well as of reason. Emotionally, I am an atheist. I don't have the evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect he doesn't that I don't want to waste my time."
 - Isaac Asimov, Free Inquiry (Spring 1982)

No comments:

Post a Comment