Sunday, September 15, 2013

"You need to go to church"

The Carolinas Secular Conference is an annual event of the growing secular movement in North Carolina. This year's conference theme is "coming out," and we'll be in Charlotte from October 4th - 6th. I will be available throughout the conference and speaking briefly about MetrolinaRfR (at 11 am on Saturday) as part of the Opening Plenary Session. This is the fourth in a series of posts about my own disbelief and experiences "coming out."

A young fundie relative recently said this after disagreeing with me on gay rights. It's hard to take seriously, but some people still think you are going to hell if you don't go to church and swallow everything you are told. Enough said on that.

Some also believe that religion is required for morality. Personally I think Einstein said it best: our "ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hopes of reward after death." But if it makes them feel better, I have recently been to a Unitarian Universalist church (twice!). I have also been to a local mosque (once) within the last year or two. And to several Baptist churches (weddings and funerals). They need to Google "humanism."

It's not really my thing, but I would go to a secular "church" to hear Jerry DeWitt speak or see what's up with those Sunday Assemblies. I also attend a local skeptic Meetup and other secular, atheist, humanists events in the area. I'm even attending (and speaking briefly at) the Carolinas Secular Conference in October! Does that count? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment