William James used to preach the "will-to-believe." For my part, I should wish to preach the "will-to-doubt" .... What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite.
Additional online resources
- Neal Conan. "Doubt: A History." Conversation with Jennifer Michael Hecht. NPR. November 13, 2003.
- Laurie Goodstein. "Some Mormons Search the Web and Find Doubt." NY Times. July 20, 2013.
- Maria Popova. "How Ignorance Fuels Science and the Evolution of Knowledge." Brain Pickings. April 2, 2012.
"Against Positive Thinking: Uncertainty as the Secret of Happiness." Brain Pickings. June 21, 2012.
- Carrie Arnold. "Embracing the Radical: How Uncertainty Breeds Extremism." Scientific American Blogs. April 4, 2011.
- Makeesha Fisher. "Your Brain Hates Doubt: Why Uncertainty is Difficult." Atheist Republic. November 12, 2012.
- Jack Palmer. "Reason for Doubt: Documentary On Leaving Religion." M424Filmcast Productions. August 6, 2013.
MetrolinaRfR hosted a meeting in Mooresville, NC on December 24, 2013 to discuss dealing with doubt and uncertainty without religion. We hope you find these topical resources useful in understanding and dealing with doubt.