Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The Incredible Hulk (and other lessons from Ferguson)

"I felt like I was a five-year old holding onto Hulk Hogan..it looks like a demon...in a cloud of dust... grunting." - Darren Wilson's grand jury testimony 
Are we really that oblivious? Lacking in empathy? Or was justice served in this case? Opinions abound, but who knows the true facts? Will Wheaton?





Call me a dreamer, but in the midst of all the bad news I think nonviolence is working. And I am encouraged by the new meme for the ongoing movement for racial justice in this country: "Hands Up, Don't Shoot." That phrase, and police tanks and tear gas, are likely how we will remember Ferguson. But we should also never forget the "incredible hulk" - or that kids in Ferguson need superheroes too.

"I have always held that, if he who bases his hopes on human nature is a fool, he who gives up in the face of circumstances is a coward." - Albert Camus














9 comments: