Truly lovely cartoon by @RteeFufkin #JeSuisCharlie pic.twitter.com/EuNh8USwyA
— ben goldacre (@bengoldacre) January 7, 2015
All I ask is that, in the midst of a murderous world, we agree to reflect on murder and to make a choice. After that, we can distinguish those who accept the consequences of being murderers themselves or the accomplices of murderers, and those who refuse to do so with all their force and being. Since this terrible dividing line does actually exist, it will be a gain if it be clearly marked. Over the expanse of five continents throughout the coming years an endless struggle is going to be pursued between violence and friendly persuasion, a struggle in which, granted, the former has a thousand times the chances of success than that of the latter. But I have always held that, if he who bases his hopes on human nature is a fool, he who gives up in the face of circumstances is a coward. And henceforth, the only honorable course will be to stake everything on a formidable gamble: that words are more powerful than munitions.
Thank you, @SalmanRushdie pic.twitter.com/R9GDwgk6oZ #JeSuisCharlie
— English PEN (@englishpen) January 7, 2015
A picture worth a thousand words... pic.twitter.com/9YH3NF03Fh
— Michael Shermer (@michaelshermer) January 8, 2015
Jan 8, 2015:
- Evan McMurry. ‘Stupidity Will Not Win’: Charlie Hebdo Plans to Publish Next Week. Mediaite.
- Amanda Taub. Charlie Hebdo and its biting satire, explained in 9 of its most iconic covers. Vox.
- Jason Frye. Religion, Violence, and Satire: A Humanist Response to the Charlie Hebdo Massacre. The Humanist.
- Jeffrey Goldberg. We Are Not All Charlie. The Atlantic.
- Christopher Massie. The missing Charlie Hebdo cartoons. Columbia Journalism Review.
- Terry Firma. More Voices, This Time From Liberals, Suggest That Charlie Hebdo More or Less Brought the Massacre On Itself. The Friendly Atheist Blog.
- Brian Pellot. So what if Charlie Hebdo *is* racist? I’m still Charlie. Religion News Service.
- Anthony L. Fisher. Charlie Hebdo Massacre Reactions: 'I'm All for Free Speech and Murder is Wrong, But...' Reason.
- Charb (Stéphane Charbonnier) and Fabrice Nicolino. No, Charlie Hebdo isn't racist. Toronto Star.
- Quora. What was the context of Charlie Hebdo's cartoon depicting Boko Haram sex slaves as welfare queens?
- Kimberly Winston. The ‘Splainer: Why does Islam ban images of the Prophet Muhammad? Religion News Service.
- Andrew Hussey. French Humor, Turned Into Tragedy. NY Times.
- Juan Cole. Sharpening Contradictions: Why al-Qaeda attacked Satirists in Paris. Informed Comment Blog.
- Carol Kuruvilla and Antonia Blumberg. Muslims Around The World Condemn Charlie Hebdo Attack. Huffington Post.
- George Packer. The Blame for the Charlie Hebdo Murders. The New Yorker.
- Isabelle Hanne. Behind the Scenes at Charlie Hebdo’s First Editorial Meeting Since the Attack. Slate.
- Max Fisher. This map shows every attack on French Muslims since Charlie Hebdo. Vox.
- Amanda Taub. #JeSuisAhmed: a crucial message that everyone should hear. Vox.
- Deborah Cole. Firebombing at German paper that ran Charlie Hebdo cartoons. Yahoo News.
- Michael Bolen. Victims At Jewish Grocery In Paris Honoured With #JeSuisJuif. Huffington Post.
- Ian Black. Charlie Hebdo killings condemned by Arab states – but hailed online by extremists. The Guardian.
- Karl Vick. Al-Qaeda Group Claims Responsibility for Paris Terror Attack. Time.
- Ray Sanchez, et. al. Source: Terror sleeper cells 'activated' in France. CNN.
- Al Jazeera. World leaders join huge crowds in Paris unity rally
- The Inquisitr. 'Anonymous' Hackers Declare Their First Victory In Operation Charlie Hebdo.
- Ben Hubbard. Jihadists and Supporters Take to Social Media to Praise Attack on Charlie Hebdo. NY Times.
- Olivier Tonneau. On Charlie Hebdo: A letter to my British friends. Mediapart Blog.
- Yahoo News. 'We vomit' on Charlie's sudden friends: staff cartoonist.
- Rachel Donadio. Charlie Hebdo Staff Prepares Next Issue. NY Times.
- Alexandra Topping. Charlie Hebdo staff try in vain to stifle laughter as pigeon craps on Francois Hollande. Raw Story.
- Kevin Dolgin. A French-American’s Perspective on Charlie Hebdo. The Humanist.
- L.V. Anderson. What Does the New Charlie Hebdo Cover Mean? Its Cartoonist Explains. Slate.
- Dan Fincke. Answering 16 of the Worst #JeSuisCharlie #CharlieHebdo Memes. Camels With Hammers blog.
- Abdelkader Benalijan. From Teenage Angst to Jihad: The Anger of Europe's Young Marginalized Muslims. NY Times.
- Nature. Science and satire.
- Understanding the socio-political context of Charlie Hebdo cartoons.
- Terry Firma. A Feckless New York Times, Along With Many Other Media, Chickens Out of Publishing the New Charlie Hebdo Cover. Friendly Atheist blog.
- The Telegraph. How I created the Charlie Hebdo magazine cover: cartoonist Luz's statement in full.
- Susan Pinker. How Religion Can Move Us to Do Terrible Things. Time.
- Leigh Phillips. Lost in translation: Charlie Hebdo, free speech and the unilingual left. Ricochet.
- Gérard Biard, Charlie Hebdo Editor-in-Chief. Will there continue to be 'yes, but?'. CNN.