Sunday, November 1, 2015

Unequally yoked? Check out the new podcast!



What happens when one person in a same-faith relationship leaves the faith? It can sometimes be devastating. But many couples are making it work. For some, it's not a major issue. For others, it requires some effort. For those in the latter camp, there's a great new podcast by a friend and former Mormon (now an agnostic and non-believer) and his wife (who still believes in the Mormon faith). They call it "Unequally Yoked" - a reference to the Biblical prohibition against Christians having relationships with "unbelievers" (2 Corinthians 6:14). Their latest episode is about boundaries and compromise. Check it out!

Sorry for the delay - here's episode 6!http://unequally-yoked.net/2015/10/27/episode-6-boundaries-and-compromise/
Posted by Unequally Yoked Podcast on Monday, October 26, 2015


Dale McGowan also has some excellent advice (Update 11/4: and just posted some red flags to watch out for), as well as a book, on the topic. When I met my wife, she was nominally Lutheran but not a practicing one - meaning no church - which worked fine for me as I was already thoroughly post-Christian and very much into philosophical Taoism (reading every translation of the Tao Te Ching I could find and actively learning Wu style T'ai chi ch'uan and My Jhong Law Horn Kung Fu from a Sifu who studied under Master Lee Kwong Ming and who was also, ironically enough, a devout Catholic). I wrote our entire marriage ceremony, and it was mostly Taoist in tone and substance - but the Lutheran minister insisted on saying the Lord's Prayer at the end of the service.

My wife would probably consider herself an agnostic and a humanist today. I don't like labels, but atheist, skeptic, and secular humanist are mostly accurate. And while my wife and I have never been completely on the same page with everything, we've never really been that far apart either. So it hasn't been a major issue for us. If it is an issue for you, I highly recommend Unequally Yoked. And be sure to invite your spouse to listen with you. It could save your marriage!


Interfaith
Image Credit: The Morton Grove Voice

No comments:

Post a Comment