This online bibliography is maintained by the Skeptical Poets Society for the Metrolina Chapter of Recovering From Religion, a founding member of the Charlotte Coalition of Reason. We understand that leaving religion is full of potential problems, both emotional and practical. If you are considering whether to come out godless, or dealing with negative consequences as a result of coming out, we hope that you find these resources helpful.
Download the Openly Secular toolkits.
"If a closet atheist wants to come out, that is her decision to make, and nobody else's. What we can do is provide support and encouragement to those who willingly decide to out themselves."
Hotline: 184-I-DOUBT-IT (1-844-368-2848)Download Brochure: Front & Back (PDF format)
Recovering From Religion: "10.5 Steps to Coming Out as a Nonbeliever"
Recovering From Religion: "10.5 Steps to Coming Out as a Nonbeliever"
Practical Advice & Personal Stories
- Robby Berry. "Why Come Out As An Atheist?" The Secular Web.
- We Are Atheism. "10.5 Tips When Coming Out to Family or Friends as an Atheist." We Are Atheism.
- John Corvino. "Coming Out Skeptical" at Skepticon 3. (Video) YouTube. December 27, 2010.
- Patrick. "Guide to Deconversion (Part 1): How to Come Out (and Why!)." Coffee Shop Atheist. August 20, 2012.
- Amanda Knief. "Being an Atheist in the Workplace." (Video) Secular Students Alliance. September 18, 2012.
- Greta Christina. "Coming Out." (Video) Secular Student Alliance. September 25, 2012.
- Hemant Mehta. "Is Coming Out as an Atheist Always a Good Idea? A Conversation with Three Former Pastors." Friendly Atheist Blog. March 28, 2013.
- Hemant Mehta. "How to Tell Your Parents You're an Atheist?" (Video) Friendly Atheist Blog. June 15, 2013.
- Hemant Mehta. "Immoral to Hide That You're an Atheist?" (Video) The Atheist Voice. June 24, 2013.
- Douglas Whaley. "Coming out as an Atheist." (Video) Secular Student Alliance conference talk. August 15, 2013.
- Greta Christina. "Coming Out Atheist — I Need Your Stories and Advice." Greta Christina's Blog. September 13, 2013.
- Becky Garrison. "From Pastor to Harvard's ‘Godless Church’ Planter." Religion Dispatches. September 20, 2013.*
* Update: Teresa MacBain left employment with the Humanist Community at Harvard.
- Terry Firma. "Are You Out of the Closet as a Non-Believer? ‘Cracked’ Advises People Who Want To Be Liked To Hide Their Atheism." Friendly Atheist Blog. January 11, 2014.
- Greta Christina. "Coming Out Godless, and Not Assuming the Worst." The Humanist.com. February 12, 2014.
- Hemant Mehta. "5 Reason to NOT come out as atheist." (Video) The Atheist Voice. March 31, 2015.
- Hemant Mehta. "A Helpful Guide to Coming Out as an Atheist When You’re African-American." Friendly Atheist blog. April 8, 2015.
- Neil Carter. "Not Everyone Needs to Come Out of the Atheist Closet." Godless in Dixie blog. April 16, 2015.
- Pastor No Faith. "Coming Out of the Atheist Closet." Pastor No Faith Blog. 2015.
- Hemant Mehta. "NFL Star Arian Foster Has Come Out as an Atheist." Friendly Atheist blog. August 15, 2015.
- Abby Fletcher. "No Longer Alone." Openly Secular (video). July 22, 2015.
- Mario Quadracci. "Faith No More." Milwaukee Magazine. August 17, 2015.
News & Opinion Pieces
- Richard Dawkins."A Challenge to Atheists: come out of the closet." RichardDawkins.net. May 14, 2006.
- Sean Price. "Atheist Students Come Out of the Closet." Teaching Tolerance Blog: Southern Poverty Law Center. March 8, 2011.
- Hemant Mehta. "Time for atheists to 'come out.'" Washington Post. July 20, 2011.
- Dave Niose. "Disbelief Is Not a Choice." Psychology Today. September 12, 2011.
- Greta Christina. "We’re Telling Them They’re Wrong: Why Coming Out Atheist Is Inherently Oppositional." Greta Christina's Blog. October 24, 2011.
- Dave Niose. "Reason Rally: A Secular Coming-Out Celebration." Psychology Today. March 14, 2012.
- Fred Edwords. "The great atheist 'coming out.'" Washington Post. March 20, 2012.
- Ronald A. Lindsay. "Coming Out Atheist Is Not the Same Thing As Coming Out LGBT." Huffington Post. June 7, 2012.
- Greta Christina. "Major Threat to Religion? Clergy People Coming Out as Atheists." Alternet. June 10, 2012.
- Dan Merica. "Unbelieving preachers get help to 'come out' as open atheists." CNN. June 13, 2012.
- Robert F. Worth. "From Bible-Belt Pastor to Atheist Leader." New York Times. August 22, 2012.
- William Hamby. "Science says atheists should come out of the closet for their own good." Examiner.com. January 29, 2013.
- Joshua Knobe and Ara Norenzayan. "Should atheists 'come out' to fight prejudice?" (Video) Blogging Heads TV. Feb 17, 2013.
- Roy Speckhardt. "Coming Out is Speaking Out." Huffington Post. March 21, 2013.
- Melanie Tannenbaum. "Will changing your Facebook profile picture do anything for marriage equality?" PsySociety, Scientific American Blogs. March 28, 2013.
- Diaa Hadid. "Arab atheists, though few, inch out of the shadows." The Associated Press. August 3, 2013.
- Liam McLaughlin. "Is it harder to 'come out' as an atheist if you're black?" New Statesman. August 7, 2013.
- James Hamblin. "Bullied for Not Believing in God." The Atlantic. September 13, 2013.
- Keith Grub. "Atheists Now Have a PAC, and They Want More Politicians to Come Out As Non-Believers." PolicyMic. September 18, 2013.
- Western North Carolina Coalition of Reason WNC CoR). "Godless 'Altar Call' Triggers Secular 'Coming Out' at Pritchard Park. United CoR. September 16, 2013.
- Charlotte Coalition of Reason. "Godless Citizens of the Carolinas to Gather in Charlotte." United CoR. September 24, 2013.
- Lappavi Aiyar. "No faith in the system." The Hindu. September 27, 2013.
- Herb Silverman. "A PAC for atheist candidates." Washington Post. September 30, 2013.
- Charlotte Coalition of Reason. "Godless Conference Begins This Week in Charlotte." United CoR. October 1, 2013.
- Matt Comer. "'Godless' conference begins today in Charlotte." QNotes. October 4, 2013.
- Gavin Off. "Non-believers hold coming out party in Charlotte." Charlotte Observer. October 5, 2013.
- Roy Speckhardt. "Is it Unethical to Hide Your Nonbelief?" Huffington Post. October 15, 2013.
- David Niose. "Why Oprah's Anti-Atheist Bias Hurts So Much." Psychology Today. October 15, 2013.
- Greta Christina. "What Humanists Can Learn from the LGBT Movement." The Humanist. November/December 2013.
- Chris Stedman. "Atheism is not the 'new gay marriage' (or the new anything else)." Faitheist Blog. December 6, 2013.
- Leah Mickens. "Out of the Closet and Into the Abyss: The Black Church and the Politics of Black Non-Belief." TheHumanist.com. February 18, 2014.
- Barbara Falconer Newhall. "The Atheists Are Coming – Out of a Closet Near You." Barbara Falconer Newhall's blog. February 19, 2015.
- David Niose. "Will You Be Openly Secular?" Physcology Today. April 19, 2015.
- Victoria Craw. "‘Having people find out is my greatest fear’: Australian ex-Muslims form secretive online group." News Limited. February 20, 2016.
Projects & Campaigns
- American Secular Census - SecularCensus.us
- Atheist Census - AtheistCensus.com
- Coming Out Godless Project - ComingOutGodless.com
- Living Without Religion - LivingWithoutReligion.org
More information: Press Release and Twitter hashtag: #WithoutReligion
- Openly Secular - OpenlySecular.org
- Remove Your Mask Contest for a chance to win $1,000.
- Toolkits and Additional Resources for help and support.
- Out of the Closet Virtual Billboard Campaign - FFRF.org/Out
- Out Campaign - OutCampaign.org
- Secular Safe Zone - SecularSafeZone.org
- Dan Barker. Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One of America's Leading Atheists. Ulysses Press; 1st edition. September 1, 2008.
- Russell Blackford. 50 Voices of Disbelief: Why We Are Atheists. Wiley-Blackwell. October 19, 2009.
- Darrel Ray. The God Virus: How Religion Infects Our Lives and Culture. IPC Press. December 5, 2009.
- Video series by the author: Part 1 of 9.
- Sarah Sentilles. Breaking Up with God: A Love Story. HarperOne. June 7, 2011.
- Bill Lehto (Editor), and Greta Christina (Foreword). Atheist Voices of Minnesota: an Anthology of Personal Stories. Freethought House. August 28, 2012.
- David G. McAfee. Mom, Dad, I'm an Atheist: The Guide to Coming Out as a Non-believer. Dangerous Little Books. December 12, 2012. (see also McAfee's blog post about his book).
- Jerry DeWitt. Hope after Faith: An Ex-Pastor's Journey from Belief to Atheism. Da Capo Press; First Edition. June 25, 2013.
- Jim Mulholland. Leaving Your Religion: A Practical Guide To Becoming Non-Religious. CreateSpace. October 22, 2013.
- Video of the author coming out (November 11, 2013).
- Greta Christina. Coming Out Atheist: How to Do It, How to Help Each Other, and Why.
- Video of a talk by the author (April 30, 2014).
- Chris Johnson. A Better Life: 100 Atheists Speak Out on Joy & Meaning in a World Without God. Cosmic Teapot, Inc. 2014.
- Gervais, Will M. "Finding the Faithless: Perceived Atheist Prevalence Reduces Anti-Atheist Prejudice" (PDF). Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Vol. 37, No. 4, 543-556. April 2011.
- Gervais, Will M.; Shariff, Azim F.; Norenzayan, Ara. "Do you believe in atheists? Distrust is central to anti-atheist prejudice." Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol 101(6), Dec 2011, 1189-1206.
- Pew Research. "'Nones' on the Rise." Pew Research Center. October 9, 2012.
- Silver, Christopher F. "Atheism, Agnosticism, and Nonbelief: A Qualitative and Quantitative Study of Type and Narrative." 2013.
- Zimmerman, Kevin. et. al. "Familial Relationship Outcomes of Coming Out as an Atheist." Secularism & Nonreligion.
- Brewster, Melanie E. (edited). "Atheists in America." Columbia University Press. 2014.
- Book review by Hannah Scheidt. Nonreligion & Secularity.
- Galen, L. "Atheism, wellbeing, and the wager: Why not believing in God (with others) is good for you." Science, Religion and Culture, 2(3): 54-69. 2015.
- Zuckerman, Phil. et. al. "The Nonreligious: Understanding Secular People and Societies." Oxford University Press. 2016.
- Investigating Atheism (Cambridge)
- Center for Atheist Research
- Nonreligion & Secularity Research Network
- Secular Coalition of America - Research
The Carolinas is home to dozens of secular groups, some of which are listed below. Or check the Secular Directory for other groups and other areas.
2 Secular Coalition for America chapters:
4 Recovering From Religion chapters:
secular mental health professional.
6 United Coalition of Reason coalitions:
7 American Atheists partners and affiliates
11 American Humanist Association charter and affiliate chapters
23 Secular Student Alliance affiliates
NEW UnitedCoR's Secular Directory will tell you where to go!